Hello and thank you for checking out my website and stopping by my blog. My name is Loren Browne and I am an Acupuncture Physician. For the past 6 years I have operated the Affordable Acupuncture Clinic in Palmetto Bay. I graduated from the Acupuncture and Massage College, which was founded and operated by my parents Dr. Richard and Nancy Browne until they retired a few years ago.
I was born in Miami Florida with a condition called Spina Bifida. Spina Bifida is a birth defect where a baby’s spinal cord does not form properly This is known as a neural tube defect as it affects the spinal nerves.
The 3 Forms of Spina Bifida
- The most common form of Spina Bifida is quite mild and usually doesn’t cause problems or need treatment. Physically it is unnoticeable except perhaps a small dimple or hairy patch on their low back.
- A rarer yet more severe form of Spina Bifida is Meningocele. This is when fluid leaks out of the spine and pushes against the skin.
- The least common and most severe form of Spina Bifida is called Myelomeningocele (this is the form of Spina Bifida I was born with). In this case the spinal nerves pushout of spinal canal. This exposure general causes damage to the spinal nerves. Children born with this type of Spina Bifida can experience different symptoms including:
- Leg Weakness
- Paralysis (from the neck or waist down)
- Orthopedic Abnormalities (club foot, hip dislocation, scoliosis ect…)
- Bladder Bowel control problems ( incontinence, frequent urinary tract infections, difficulty passing stools)
- Poor Kidney Function
- Hydrocephalus – a fluid build up in the brain that can cause seizures, learning disabilities and vision problems
- Possible Death of the Child
How This Affected Me
When I was born my father instantly diagnosed me with Spina Bifida. He took me to the hospital, where the surgeons sewed the skin back together over the exposed nerves in the lumbar spine. This is the normal medical procedure for this ailment. The Western Doctors were very negative. They couldn’t guarantee that I would survive or if I would ever walk. If I did survive the Western Doctors felt that I would be confined to a wheelchair for the rest my life. They predicted I would be paralyzed from at least the waist down.
But Wait There’s Hope
Luckily for me, my father was a Doctor of Traditional Chinese Medicine and did not accept their prognosis. Treatments began immediately. I was constantly touched and massaged since infancy. When I was old enough to understand to sit still acupuncture treatments began.
For the first 10 years of my life, every day my father came home after a long day of treating patients and began to treat me. He utilized the various treatments Traditional Chinese Medicine has to offer. Everything from massage, acupuncture, electric acupuncture, moxa, cupping, physical therapy exercises, and chinese herbs.
A Happy Ending
Although I was a late walker, I Walked!!! Thanks to the love and support of my family, especially the tireless efforts and treatments given to me by my father, I have full mobility and function of my body to this day.
Even as a child I was able to see the power of Traditional Chinese Medicine. I frequently saw other children with Spina Bifida. They were mostly in wheelchairs and not improving. I knew the only difference between me and them were the treatments I received from my father. At a very early age I knew I wanted to dedicate my life to helping others with this powerful medicine.
A Very Happy Ending
Immediately out of high school I enrolled in the Massage Therapy Program and then the Oriental Medical Program. I graduated with honors in both the Massage and Acupuncture programs. Since then you can find me 6 days a week doing what I love doing the most, treating patients and helping people get relief form pain and suffering. I love my job and I look forward to helping you in your health needs.